INTRO: Compassion is considered one of the most noble characteristics a person can posses just about anywhere in the world. Followers of major world religions, which don’t often agree, as well as agnostics, have one thing in common, for all, Compassion is one of the highest virtues.
The Bible says the following about Jesus:
“But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.” (Matthew 9:36)
1. What is Compassion? How would you personally define it? (Please, do not look it up, come up with your own definition).
2. Now, feel free to look up some definitions of Compassion on your phone, Ipad, or computer. Which one is your favorite definition of Compassion? Why?
Here are just a few definitions?
Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it
Sympathetic consciousness of others’ distress together with a desire to alleviate it.
The English noun compassion, meaning “to suffer together with…”
3. What is the opposite of Compassion? Can you think of one or two words that are totally opposite of Compassion? If you can think of any, feel free to look them up in your device.
Here are two:
4. What has your personal life been like lately? Has it been a life of Compassion? Has it been a life of Cruelty? Has it been a life of Indifference? (If you are in a group setting and don’t feel comfortable sharing, you don’t have to share, just think)
5. Is there a difference between your words and your actions? Do your words match your actions? Do you need any type of adjustments in your life right now?
6. What can you do to become a person of Compassion?
Prayer: Dear God, help me not to be cruel or indifferent as I see the suffering of your creation. I would really like to become a person of Compassion, with the priorities of Jesus. Help me adjust my life and to become a lot more than just talk, that everyone will see Compassion in me.